The General Services Department was created to provide services and institutionalise a maintenance culture for the Ministry’s assets. The Department is saddled with the responsibility of planning, budgeting, managing the ministry’s staff and asset as well as providing timely services to all departments in accomplishing the mandate of the ministry.
To achieve the above, the department has two divisions headed by a Deputy-Director each. The divisions are:
The Administrative division is saddled with the general administration of the department as follows:
- Collates all departmental specific needs/services and forwards to Procurement Department.
- Receives and ensures that all the items supplied on behalf of the ministry are in the right quantities as specified in Contract Award Letter and at the right time to the right department/units.
- The department ensures that the goods and services supplied are of superior quality.
- Advises the Permanent Secretary on the distribution of items according to departmental needs.
- Issues items to each department for usage on request.
- Protects all items from damages and unauthorized access or usage.
The Departmental Security Officer coordinates the personnel from the Civil Defence Corps deployed to the ministry to provide security services to staff and properties.
- Carry out routine inspection of all office facilities and ensures they (i.e. a/c’s, generators, plumbing, and electricity) are intact and secured to ensure good working staff condition.
- Receives and recommend for payment, the monthly utility bills (Electricity, sewage, PHCN and cleaning services).
- The maintenance division being the technical arm of the department is saddled with the following:
- Ensures that preventive and corrective maintenance on facilities are done regularly to provide good staff working environment.
- Carry out repairs and renovation works in all the offices.
- Supervision of projects awarded as contracts and issuance of Completion Certificate, provides periodic Annual reports on executed projects.
- Maintains the ministry’s buildings/facilities in FCT and in the thirty-six (36) states.
- General administration of the vehicles, utility vehicles and the despatch bikes in the pool of the ministry.
- Facilitates movement of staff and services for advocacy and other operations of the ministry.
- Ensuring the ministry’s fleet is fuelled, serviced and maintained at all times.
- Ensure that all the registration/insurance papers of the fleet of vehicles are up to date.
- The department collates and registers the assets and properties of the ministry to ensure an authentic asset register for the ministry is kept.
- Ensures the ministry’s plant and equipment are in good working condition, and also,
- Supervises the approved facility managers on the daily cleaning of offices/convenience and ensure that quarterly fumigation of all the offices is done.
- The department is in charge of allocating and re-allocation of offices as the need arises.
- Provides the relevant working materials needed in the allocated offices (i.e. computers, printers, photocopy machine, tables and chairs e.t.c.).
Finally, the department is currently working with the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing and the Federal Capital Territory Administration in supervising the ongoing Ministry’s headquarters building in Abuja for its early